The Week on AdFreak: Aug. 5-12, 2011 Zombie bowling balls, nude models, Titanic ad fails, and physics problems: the week's top posts
It was a fairly ugly week on AdFreak, from disembodied-head bowling balls to a nude-photo artist's scuffle with Zappos to Levi's poorly timed rebellion-themed commercials in Europe. On the flip side, we got … a nice new Budweiser can. Below, it's the 10 most-read stories of the week.
1. Horror Channel Rolls Out World's Gnarliest Bowling Balls
2. Q&A: Nude-Photo Artist Accuses Zappos of Ripping Her Off
3. 1912 Titanic Ad Fail: Set Sail to Europe on a Big Ship Today!
4. Stephen Colbert's Rick Perry Ad Urges Iowans to Write in 'Rick Parry'
5. McDonald's Makes You Work for Dollar Coins Embedded in Ice
6. Jonathan's Card: Cool Social Experiment or Starbucks Marketing Stunt?
7. Does This Farmers Insurance Ad Get Its Physics All Wrong?
8. Levi's Thinks It's a Good Time for Riot Imagery in Ads
9. Fail Britannia! VisitBritain Tourism Ads Put on Hold Overseas
10. What Do You Think of Budweiser's New Can Design?
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- Sen. John Cornyn Joins the Fight Against Patent Trolls With New Bill
- YouTube CEO is Cannes Lions Media Person of the Year
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- Puma's Dance Dictionary Will Leave You at a Loss for Words
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Ad of the Day: DirecTV
- Ad of the Day: Nike
- 67% of Smartphone Owners Would Rather See Ads Than Pay for Premium Content
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.