Weather Channel Soaks People at Bus Shelters in Real Dick Move New app, though, keeps you from getting wet
Marketers just won't let people waiting in bus shelters have any peace. Case in point: The Weather Channel and ad agency Iris recently tricked out one shelter with hidden sprinklers to promote the client's latest Android app. The app apparently provides such precise forecasts that you might never again be caught in surprise downpours. As an actor checked the app and hurriedly opened his Weather Channel umbrella, the sprinklers were activated, putting a damper on the other people's daily commute. (At certain bus stops, the sudden shower would also have washed away a buttery baked-potato smell.) Bottom line: I feel empowered knowing that, thanks to the Weather Channel, humankind will no longer have to guess what the weather will be like inside covered spaces!
UPDATE: Simon Candy, creative director at Iris in Atlanta, reports that, for legal reasons, only paid actors were used in this stunt. They knew they'd get wet at some point during the commercial shoot that day, but not when or how, so their reactions were, Candy says, as genuine as could be expected.
- FTC May Not Be Done With Google Yet
- IPG Shareholders Reject 2 Proposals, Including Gender and Race Reporting
- What If Arrested Development Were Coming Back on YouTube?
- Are You Young and Male? Discovery Says This TestTube's for You
- Dwell Media Hires New Head of Digital from Yahoo
- Top Digital Publishers Praise Yahoo's Tumblr Deal
- How J.Lo Is Becoming A Wireless Brand
- Arnold Wins Avocados From Mexico
- Having Shipped Its Pants, Kmart Now Offers You 'Big Gas Savings'
- Ad of the Day: VisitEngland
- Rapture-Palooza Star Anna Kendrick Is Addicted to Reddit
- Group of Web Video Companies Band Together to Ensure Ads Are Viewable
- Lego Builds Awesome Life-Size Star Wars X-Wing Fighter, Its Largest Model Ever
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- How AT&T Got Kids to Make Some of the Year's Best Ads
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.