Starbucks Tries to Make You Hate Mondays a Little Less Animated U.K. spot celebrates the day's history
Starbucks is rebounding from recent image problems in the U.K. (something about tax payments, I think) with this ad for its Monday coffee special. The spot, from AMV BBDO, suggests Monday is actually a pretty good day, all things considered, because lots of important things happened on a Monday—the first moon walk, the first public elevator ride, the debut of movies in the U.K., and thousands of births, just for starters. "We limited our palette to things you'd find at a Starbucks shop," says Brand New School, which produced the spot. "Napkins, wooden stirrers, straws, corrugated sleeves and … oh yes, cups. Talls, Grandes, Ventis and don't forget those little cappuccino jim jams. Our cups ranneth over with fun as we shot it all in our new in-house stage."
The first production of Macbeth opened on a Monday as well, though it was plagued by tragic accidents—enough to spawn generations of goofy theater superstitions—so it's good they struck that one from the list. But that aside, Starbucks is right. Monday isn't so bad. Unless you're Garfield. Or Brenda Spencer.
- Embattled P&G CEO Out, Replaced by Predecessor
- The Guardian to Consolidate Web Properties Under One Domain
- FTC May Not Be Done With Google Yet
- JCPenney One of 10 Brands Predicted to Die Next Year
- Are You Young and Male? Discovery Says This TestTube's for You
- NSA Media Creates Alliance With Wishabi
- Dwell Media Hires New Head of Digital From Yahoo
- Top Digital Publishers Praise Yahoo's Tumblr Deal
- Rapture-Palooza Star Anna Kendrick Is Addicted to Reddit
- Atlanta's Most Infamous Stripper Pimps Charity Advertising Contest
- What If Arrested Development Were Coming Back on YouTube?
- Having Shipped Its Pants, Kmart Now Offers You 'Big Gas Savings'
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Jell-O Hijacks Twitter's Profane #FML Hashtag, Changes It to Mean 'Fun My Life'
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- Justin Bieber Is Sad About a Lot of Things, but Probably Not the Teen Employment Rate
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.