Make Your Own Skittles Ad on 'Create the Rainbow' Holiday Site Campaign is more sour than sweet
I can make my own wacky Skittles holiday commercial on this Create the Rainbow site from BBDO Toronto and Jam3? Do I have to? Can't I just strangle myself with a string of festive lights instead? Users choose various characters, dialogue, settings and music and share the results with friends—who, if they have any self-respect, will hit delete before the "ad" comes to an end. I put scruffy slacker stereotype Travis and Funky Santa—a black guy in Claus garb who chuckles ominously and wishes everyone a "Happy Christmas, Kwanzaa or Hanukkah"—in an office hot tub filled with Skittles. Overall, the effort is kind of uninspired, and the DIY approach feels re-gifted from 2009. Where's that smoochin' walrus when you need him!? Way to waste the rainbow.
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- Sen. John Cornyn Joins the Fight Against Patent Trolls With New Bill
- YouTube CEO is Cannes Lions Media Person of the Year
- Geico Makes the Perfect Ad for Hump Day
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- Ads for Playboy Fragrances Have Plenty of Happy Endings, and a Few Weird Ones Too
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Puma's Dance Dictionary Will Leave You at a Loss for Words
- Ad of the Day: Nike
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.