The Weather Channel and Twitter have teamed up to create 220 customer local Twitter feeds for cities with populations of 100,000 or more. Weather-related tweets range from 200 per minute on an average day. An active weather day can bump this number to as high as 500 weather related tweets per minute.
If you have an iPhone, The Weather Channel 4.0.0 app update includes a new “Social” tab at the bottom that provides access to weather related tweets from the surrounding area. Note that not all tweets will directly refer to local weather. The tweet selection appears to be based on the location provider by the person tweeting (an opt-in process in Twitter) as key words related to weather.
The app also includes a Tweet button that lets you send a weather related tweet (or anything else for that matter) without leaving the app.
The Weather Channel (iTunes App Store)
The Weather Channel app for the iPad has not yet been upgraded to display the weather related tweet stream.
The Weather Channel app also includes the following features:
– Interactive maps with animated radar
– Severe weather alerts for your location
– Hourly and 10-day forecasts
– Pinpoint your location for exact weather conditions
– Video of breaking news and amazing weather coverage
– View and post weather tweets
– Upload and view photos and videos for weather in your area
– Post local weather to your Facebook wall