While device manufacturers seem to be putting a lot of their focus on tablets this year, there have been a whole bunch of new eReaders put out on the market this year.
To help you navigate through all of the choices that are available for sale this holiday season, we’ve put together a list of the top 5 eReaders that are newly available this year. Each entry includes the name of the device, the price and some details that summarize the tablet’s features. (If you are shopping for a tablet, check out our list of the top 5 tablets to give this holiday season).
1. Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight: This $119 6-inch eReader from Barnes & Noble brings the best features of an eInk touch screen eReader into a device that lets you read in the dark. The GlowLight lights the screen with a soft back light. The perfect device for readers who like to read in bed in a dark room. It also has an anti-glare screen for reading in sunlight.
2. Kindle Paperwhite: Amazon’s latest 6-inch touch eReader is $119 with ads and $139 without ads. Like the Nook, it also has a built in back light tool for readers who like to read in the dark. It also has an anti-glare screen so that you can read it in the sunlight. It is tied to Amazon’s ecosystem, which means low prices on content, but you have to convert ePUB files.
3. Kobo Glo: Kobo’s answer to the Nook GloLight and the Amazon Paperwhite is 6-inch eInk touch eReader that also comes equipped with a backlight screen and an anti-glare shield for reading in bright light situations. It retails for $129.99 and like other Kobo devices, it supports ePUB files, among others.
4. Sony Reader: While Sony has lost their position as a leader in the eReader business, the Sony Reader is a throwback for readers who like the eInk black-and-white screen without a back light. The latest Sony eReader is a lot cheaper than prior Sony devices at $129.99. And you can trade in your old Sony to get credit on your new one. It’s also a great device for easily borrowing books from the library.
5. Kobo Mini: Kobo’s 5-inch pocket-sized touch screen eReader is pretty cool if you want a tiny portable eReader. It weighs 4.3 ounces and basically fits in the palm of your hand. It’s small like a smartphone and ideal for someone who wants something light weight to carry, but doesn’t like reading on a phone. It costs $79.99.