The Shrinking Pie | Adweek The Shrinking Pie | Adweek
Advertisement

The Shrinking Pie

Advertisement

Nowadays, the importance of digital is a given. Clients and agencies alike are scrambling to build talent and resources to take advantage of this media revolution in our midst. The power of digital to transform brands and drive growth is well proven through myriad case studies, from Subservient Chicken to Fiat's eco:Drive. What's less understood is how digital impacts marketing investments.

The investment model of mass media is so well understood that it has formed the paradigm of thinking about all marketing investments. Yet, this is one of the sources of confusion about digital -- and one that continues to make it difficult for clients to understand what they are buying when they hire a digital agency.

The mass media model is simple: media + agency fee + production = total cost of marketing investment. While there are three components to this equation, the lion's share of the money is spent on paid media -- somewhere in the vicinity of 80 percent in most cases, with the remaining 20 percent split between increasingly commoditized agencies and production companies, with client procurement teams knocking down these costs every day.

The major cost in mass media is, of course, the media itself, and the cost continues to rise as the elusive mass audience affordable to the Super Bowls and World Cups and handful of hit shows like American Idol becomes the only game in town amid a fragmented, digitally enabled world. In fact, the cost of 30 seconds during the Super Bowl rises every year, and the 2011 upfront market seems to indicate single-digit increases for the mass markets generated by television.

So the analog media model boils down to a substantial investment in paid media -- a rather big pie that clients must buy to chase the mass audience. In fact, when digital first appeared on the scene in the 1990s and early 2000s, agencies simply annexed it onto the mass media model -- a new audience channel that required more investments in paid media. Rather than shrinking the pie, it simply added to it. Clients wanting to participate in digital either had to grow the pie to accommodate this new paid media channel or pull money from some other part of it.

It wasn't until the Web 2.0 revolution that the real power of digital became apparent: through user participation and social media, we can actually shrink the pie. As a result, digital today represents an investment model that's entirely different from mass media. In fact, the paid media portion of the digital ecosystem is perhaps the least interesting (with the exception of paid search).

As we write this article, Nike's "Write the Future" spot for the FIFA World Cup, produced by Wieden + Kennedy, has been viewed tens of millions of times on YouTube. The post-Web 2.0 digital age has spawned two new concepts that turn the investment model of marketing on its head: owned and earned media.

When a brand creates its own media properties that consumers use over and over again, such as a popular video on YouTube or a popular digital platform like Nike+, this is "owned" media. When consumers share these media properties with each other-as when one person passes along a viral link to another, or blogs or tweets about a brand, or "likes" a brand on Facebook-this is "earned" media.

Continue to next page →