Hot List 2012: Print Winners
- 1 of 15
Best Magazine to be Seen Reading on the Subway
At a time when other magazines run controversial covers to keep the attention of consumers and the press, The Atlantic publishes buzzy yet trenchant pieces like Anne-Marie Slaughter’s “Why Women Can’t Have It All” (on today’s working woman) and Hanna Rosin’s “Boys on the Side” (on the hookup culture). Content like that has boosted site traffic 67 percent this year. All the while, The Atlantic’s fans still like their print. As circulation flatlines across magazinedom, this brand racked up 4.3 percent growth in the first half of this year.
The New Yorker
Editor of the Year James Bennet
Hype is an ephemeral thing. In his six years as editor, the unassuming James Bennet has let his magazine’s singular brand of journalism speak for itself. And that it has—loudly. The manifesto on working women by Anne-Marie Slaughter became the most widely read story in the history of the pub and even inspired an online channel, The Sexes. For amassing a roster of top talent producing some of the best magazine work around, Bennet in May ascended from editor to editor in chief—the first person ever to hold that title at The Atlantic.
Publisher of the Year
svp and publisher, Atlantic Media
Smart, popular—and rich to boot. Atlantic Media is on track to record its third profitable year in a row, driven by a flourishing digital business. More than half the company’s ad revenue now comes from digital—unheard of in the magazine business—fueled by custom ad programs and big traffic that’s stoked by social sharing. Revenue from print and events is also on the rise. Success has its rewards for Jay Lauf, promoted this year to svp and group publisher of Atlantic Media (from vp, publisher of The Atlantic), adding responsibility for the company’s business startup, Quartz.
- Online Sales - Regional Manager Infobase Learning New York City, New York (US)
- Field Marketer Ainsworth Institute of Pain Management Manhattan, NY
- Communications Associate American National Standards Institute Midtown Manhattan
- Account Director GlassView New York City, New York (US)
- Social Media Content Designer E. & J. Gallo Winery Modesto, California (US)
- Hot List: What Are 2016's Top Digital Brands, Apps and Must-Have Products?
- Jim Beam Is Giving Away 10,000 Uber Rides in Chicago Tonight for the World Series
- Makers of the Famous 'Dear Brother' Johnnie Walker Spec Ad Just Made a Volvo Ad to Die For
- Denmark Rolls Its Eyes at the U.S. Election With This Hilarious Anti-Trump Bus Ad
- Instagram Husbands Can Finally Put Down the Camera in Fossil's New Smartwatch Ads