Today’s Village Voice “Press Clips” column has the backstory regarding the strategic leak of Judy’s third husband omission from Rudy Giuliani‘s camp to the New York Post, which resulted in both papers running front-page stories on March 23:
It was quick thinking by Giuliani spokesman Michael McKeon. He had scheduled interviews with the ex-mayor for the News and the Post—in that order—for Thursday, March 22.
“I had no clue what the Daily News had,” McKeon swears. “We made them no promises, and they asked for no promises.” Not exactly … Daily News reporter Heidi Evans went into the 2 p.m. interview with Judi agreeing that the profile would be embargoed until Sunday, according to [Daily News national editor Mark] Mooney and Giuliani campaign officials. But during the interview, the News‘ Evans pressed the issue. “[Judi] did not admit that she had been married another time, despite several questions that gave her an opening, until she was asked straight out whether Bruce Nathan was her first husband,” Mooney says. “She said, ‘No, my first husband was Jeffrey Ross.'” McKeon, who says the campaign was in control of this info all along, did some quick thinking. So right after that interview, Judi went ahead and spilled the same beans to the Post. And there went the News‘ exclusive.
“This [was] clearly our story,” Mooney grumbled to the Voice. “We got it, and they dumped it on the Post.”