Okay, okay, so we know National Relaxation Day was yesterday but why not keep the blissful state of mind through the end of the week, right?
Whether you’re working on deadline 24/7 (let’s face it, who isn’t?) or stressed out from fact checking, chances are we can all infuse relaxation techniques into the frenetic work day.
Courtesy of CBS, here are five tips to kick back and breathe deeply in the hallowed halls of a newsroom…
1. Drink chamomile tea. Amy Levin-Epstein writes in the piece, “A coffee break might put a pep in your step, but herbal tea will keep you calmer – and chamomile extract, in particular, has been shown to reduce anxiety. Bonus points if you take a quick walk to the corner deli to pick it up while getting some fresh air.”
2. Declutter. Seriously though. When was the last time you got rid of files you no longer need and opened that junk drawer to get rid of old (and we do mean old) packets of oatmeal? If your workspace is clutter-free, chances are you’ll be able to feel more relaxed and focused as a result.
3. Do a desk stretch. If you don’t exactly have enough floor space for a yoga mat, no worries there. You can simply do a kick-back log-on pose. She adds in the piece, “Interlace your fingers behind your head. Relax your elbows and shoulders. Smile, breathe, and stretch your elbows back. Let the tightness release slowly, and repeat throughout the day.”
4. Feng Shui Your Bag or Briefcase. In addition to that cluttered workspace, perhaps your bag is looking pretty stuffed, too. Maybe you have random business cards from a press event or random receipts from a bodega. No matter — by ridding your briefcase of non-relevant items, you’ll be better equipped to tackle meetings and feel prepared. For instance, heading to an off-site meeting? Why not toss in a healthy snack and bottle of water?
5. Watch a Silly YouTube Video. According to researchers from Loma Linda University, going online and laughing can boost your mood and immune functionality. Plus, it can lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, too!