Earlier this year, Discover magazine, purchased by Kalmbach Publishing, finally announced it was moving to Wisconsin from New York to be based with Kalmbach’s other titles.
About 20 edit and design staff were invited to move to Wisconsin; only two took Kalmbach up on its offer, Folio: reports.
So earlier this week, Discover announced its new staff lineup13 new hires. The staff includes:
- Two senior editors: Tasha Eichenseher, formerly environment editor and producer at National Geographic Digital Media
- Siri Carpenter, founding editor of The Open Notebook
- Kathi Kube, acting managing editor and former ME of Kalmbach’s Trains
- Photo editor Ernie Mastroianni, from Kalmbach’s BirdWatching magazine
- online editor Lisa Raffensperger
- Bill Andrews, associate editor
- Alison Mackey, senior graphic designer
- Gemma Tarlach, associate editor
- Breanna Draxler, staff writer
- Elisa Neckar, editorial assistant
- David Lee, copy editor.
It’s a good week, PR-wise, for Discover to announce these talented hires. Last week Discover bloggers Ed Yong and Carl Zimmer announced that they were taking their popular blogs to National Geographic (along with two other bloggers, not poached from Discover).