One of the hazards of working in partisan media is that everywhere you look, whether it’s at a spreadsheet or a humming bird, there’s an ideological point to be made. Enter conservative radio host Laura Ingraham.
“Blossom traffic on the way to Fox News,” Ingraham tweeted Tuesday morning. “How long before Obama taxes us per Cherry blossom viewed?” The tweet has since been retweeted 22 times and favorited 14.
This is what, in the media echo chambers, is known as “a joke.” It isn’t particularly funny, but it lets the reader know that Ingraham isn’t a fan of President Obama and that she thinks he supports taxing too many things. Her cheerleaders, who likely already knew this much about Ingraham, chimed in to show solidarity.
Some of the replies sent Ingraham’s way:
- “And the ‘rich’ should also pay more to view the cherry blossoms!”
- Not taxes, “revenue enhancements”! Laura you are so politically incorrect.”
- “Oxygen tax? Wouldn’t surprise me.”
- “If it moves, tax it. If it doesn’t, regulate it. You know if they could they would.”
- “HE WILL FIND A WAY AND THEN BLAME IT ON REPUBLICANS AND CHRISTIANS”
And thus cherry blossoms, one of Washington’s few simple and free pleasures, were tainted. Nothing is sacred anymore.