The Louisville Courier Journal, which is owned by Gannett Co., did not escape the layoffs that hit almost every Gannett newspaper (besides USA Today).
According to Louisville.com, the Courier-Journal laid off 50 employees, 24 from the newsroom, and is integrating its weekly arts & entertainment supplement into the main paper. The paper is also cutting back on its local coverage, with about half the staff assigned to “Neighborhoods” (weekly geography-based editions) losing their jobs and the paper may be reducing the number of geographic locations covered.
According to WPFL the paper has also eliminated its state house bureau.
Here’s a number of names; this is, obviously, an incomplete list, but feel free to let us know of more.
- Joseph Lord, Velocity Staff Writer
- Thomas Nord, Velocity Editor
- Erin Keane, Velocity Staff Writer
- Lisa Hornung, MetroMix Editor
- Bettye Baye, editorial writer, columnist
- Rick McDonough, assistant suburban editor
- Niki King, Neighborhoods reporter
- Melissa Poore, Neighborhoods reporter
- Tom Nord, Velocity editor
- Lisa Hornung, Velocity
- Sheryl Edelen, Neighborhoods
- Tiffany Meredith, Metro editor