Zagat fans know that the “burgundy bible” is one of the best sources for reviews on restaurants (and hotels, nightlife and entertainment!), but it’ll take more than a hunger for a new job to help you land the position. Before you apply for the survey’s new social media editor gig, here are five things you should keep in mind.
1. Make sure you know your platforms. No one is trying to trick you. The job description is pretty straight-up in naming Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Foodspotting and YouTube as primary social media outlets, so if you’re stronger in one over another, take the time to get familiar. Obviously, you should check out Zagat’s profiles and get a grasp of what their tone and messaging is.
2. This is an editor role. Yes, you’ll be updating statuses and sending tweets, but you’ll also be writing copy for editorial content, events, contests and more. You should be articulate, creative and know a thing or two about grammar so that your messages are error-free.
3. You have stiff competition. We probably don’t have to tell you this, but this is a great gig and you’re going to have some stiff competition. However, if you can set yourself apart from the rest, you’re golden. While there are technical aspects to the job, no one wants to work with a robot. Make sure to give Zagat a taste of your personality, too.
4. Expect to work unconventional hours. If you want to punch into work at 9 a.m. and be out by 5 p.m., you should look elsewhere. Social media hours are nebulous, and Zagat is searching for someone who’s willing to “work around the clock when needed.”
5. You don’t have to be a foodie, but it would help. Your interviewer won’t ask you to recite the menu at Per Se, but you should be enthusiastic about food and restaurants. If you’re not, would you really want to be surrounded by it day in and day out? Make a mental list of your all-time favorite spots, as well as some of your least preferred restaurants. We have a hunch it might come up during your interview.
Apply Here: Zagat Seeks Social Media Editor
For more openings and employment news, follow The Job Post on Twitter @MBJobPost.