Yesterday, Robert Gibbs refused to give the WH press corps a preview of President Obama’s “Late Show with David Letterman” appearance…
Q. Does the President have any funny anecdotes for David Letterman tonight?
MR. GIBBS: Well, I’m not going to preview them here, for goodness sakes.
Q. Well, so we can get ready. (Laughter.)
MR. GIBBS: So that you can get ready? Well, that was first and foremost on the President’s mind this morning. No, he’s had a good rapport with David Letterman for quite some time. We did this before he became a senator and again on the presidential campaign, so it should be – I think it will be fun. But I also think, again, I think it’s a way of talking to people that may not get their news all from traditional outlets. So I think that’s an important way to continue the conversation.
But well before the airing, details of the taping hit the web… topics ranged from the First Family’s summer vacation to health care, Afghanistan, Iraq and the economy – where he even made some news on unemployment (Reuters ). “Your job is more difficult than my job, that’s what I learned here tonight,” Letterman ribbed.
The infamous Top 10 List was reasons the President agreed to come on the show, spilled over Twitter:
10. Heard the lady with the heart-shaped potato was going to be here (more on that here)
9. Thought it would be fun to watch someone else get heckled
8. Has something to do with that whole “cash for clunkers” thing
7. Everyone since President Teddy Roosevelt has been here
6. In this economy, someone offers you $600, you take it
5. We told him Megan Fox would be here
4. Needed a place to hang out until check-in time at this hotel
3. Honestly, I have no idea
2. Said “yes” without thinking, like Bush did with Iraq
1. Wanted to congratulate Dave on the big Emmy win(sigh, he actually lost)
And on race, the President reminded everyone, “First of all, I think it’s important to realize that I was actually black before the election.”
More clips at CBS.com.