The Nintendo 3DS portable game console with a 3D viewing screen won’t be available in the U.S. until March 27. However, iFixit obtained the model released in Japan last month and tore it apart to see what’s inside. Note that the 3DS features two cameras to create its own 3D photographs.
– The 3DS has a relatively small battery. The battery takes about 3.5 hours to charge.
– An InfraRed (IR) port was found. However, its function is not yet known.
– The 3DS has an SD storage card slot. The 3DS ships with a 2GB SD card.
– The 3DS has a gyroscope chip
– The 3DS’s battery can be replaced by removing the back cover.
– iFixit gives the 3DS a middle ground 5 out of 10 score for repairability (10 being easiest to repair)
I found it interesting that the 3DS has a gyroscope. The iPhone 4 was the first phone that I know of to provide that feature. It is mostly used for gaming and Augmented Reality (AR) apps. At $250, the 3DS may be the least expensive 3D camera from a tier-1 company and may help kickstart consumer 3D.