Some leftover inside scoops from the WHCD, affectionately called Nerd Prom by DC journos…
• The real story with Ben and Jen– Jennifer Garner cancelled on host CBS earlier last week and Ben Affleck at the last minute because he was “very sick.”
• We spotted Julia Louis Dreyfus texting from her table to “The New Adventures of Old Christine” co-star Wanda Sykes, the night’s entertainment. We caught up with her at the VF/Bloomberg party and she said she just couldn’t believe her friend was up there on stage with President and First Lady Obama.
• My fingers are still hurting from all the Twittering I was doing- WaPo‘s Chris Cillizza to Andrea Mitchell on MSNBC today. Check out his weekend Tweets here.
• ABC’s George Stephanopoulos’ picks for President Obama’s best lines of the night here.
• Rachel Sklar tells us Why the Nerd Prom Matters at the Daily Beast. “It’s fashionable to deride the Correspondents’ Dinner-or “Nerd Prom,” as it was dubbed on Twitter-but the fact is, such events can be damned useful. Perhaps not for the person sitting beside Tom Cruise, unless you’re looking for the latest news on Thetan-spotting, but for reporters working a beat and juniors coming up in the ranks, these events provide a great opportunity for meeting, greeting and making an impression.”
• Does the WH press corps really call WHCA President AP’s Jennifer Loven “McLoven” like NBC’s Brian Williams joked during his WHCD presentation? Sklar had the chance to ask her- “No, Brian just thinks that’s hilarious.”
• DUH! Overheard: The Hill newspaper to Alan Greenspan, “Excuse me, sir. We’re trying to get a picture of Ms. Mitchell.” Too bad the Ah, ha! moment came too late- after being corrected by Greenspan: “That’s my wife.”
• And check out coverage of John McLaughlin’s annual Sunday brunch here.
• Mix 107.3’s Tommy McFly caught up with Andrea Mitchell, Keith Olbermann and others…