On Wednesday we wrote about Slate technology columnist Farhad Manjoo and his confessional on the pitfalls of hiring a personal assistant who lives in Mumbai. Today he answers our questions.
1. Did your family think you were crazy hiring a virtual assistant in India? My wife thought it would be a waste of money. She was right.
2. Did they try to talk you out of it? She didn’t try. She knows I try lots of crazy online things.
3. How do you achieve work-life balance now — or is it still difficult for you? Still difficult. I’m drowning. I need help. Seriously. Help. Please.
4. What do you think are the most prominent things is in your life that contribute to work-life chaos — can you point to one or two things? I have two young kids who require a lot of time and don’t sleep well. The kids are awesome. But there’s just no rest. No weekend time to myself (or my wife for herself), no full nights of sleep. It’s work, kids, chores all the time. A treadmill.
5. Was it therapeutic at all to write this piece and do you have a virtual assistant nearby these days? Not therapeutic really. I don’t have an assistant anymore!