During his end of the year press conference, President Barack Obama did something quite out of the ordinary. He didn’t call on a single male or television reporter throughout the presser’s entirety.
“The fact is, there are many women from a variety of news organizations who day-in and day-out do the hard work of covering the President of the United States,” said White House press secretary Josh Earnest. “As the questioner list started to come together, we realized that we had a unique opportunity to highlight that fact at the President’s closely watched, end of the year news conference.”
Here’s the list of female reporters called on for those keeping track (via The Fix):
- Carrie Budoff Brown, Politico
- Cheryl Bolen, Bloomberg (who Obama labelled as “naughty”)
- Julie Pace, Associated Press
- Lesley Clark, McClatchy
- Roberta Rampton, Reuters
- Colleen M. Nelson, Wall Street Journal
- Juliet Eilperin, Washington Post
- April Ryan, American Urban Radio
Video Courtesy of CNN Digital.