Megyn Kelly Is Headed to NBC News

Two shows + breaking news coverage.

Fox News host Megyn Kelly will not be renewing her contract at Fox News when it expires this summer, moving instead to NBC News, where, under a multi-year contract, she will host a one-hour daytime show as well as a Sunday evening show in a news magazine format. She’ll also contribute to the network’s breaking news and political coverage.

The New York Times’ Jim Rutenberg, who first broke the news, reported that what appealed to Kelly about NBC News chairman Andrew Lack‘s offer was that, according to sources, it begain with a question:

One person briefed on Ms. Kelly’s deliberations said that Mr. Lack, the NBC News chairman, won over Ms. Kelly by starting the talks with a question about what she was seeking, instead of flatly offering possibilities. He then came back with a deal that was tailored to her preferences. A daytime show would give her a schedule that would allow her to see her children off to school and to have dinner with them and her husband, Douglas Brunt, a novelist.

Kelly had previously hinted that a more flexible schedule may ultimately appeal to her more than the highest bid, which was likely Fox’s $20 million per year offer.

“Megyn is an exceptional journalist and news anchor, who has had an extraordinary career” Lack said in a statement. “She’s demonstrated tremendous skill and poise, and we’re lucky to have her.”

While this news ends a long stretch of speculation about Kelly’s future, it continues the one about Fox News’ post-election direction and, now, who will fill Kelly’s primetime spot at the network.