If Upper Deck plays its cards right, American Idol fans will head to their favorite stores April 21 and pick up a set of trading cards that feature their faves among past and present winners, and infamous contestants.
In a deal struck with FremantleMedia, the trading card company has created a line of 138 American Idol cards. The portfolio includes:
• Randomly inserted autographs from season 8 finalists and past contestants
• Makeover cards with before and after shots of former idols
• ”Almost an Idol” cards featuring contestants and memorable moments from season 8
• Top two finalists from every season and fan favorites, including Jordin Sparks, David Archuleta and Jennifer Hudson
• Rejected hopefuls, including William Hung and Nick Mitchell
“The American Idol brand has always been very strong in the interactive space,” said Nora Wong, senior manager of consumer products at FreMantleMedia. “With the trading cards, it’s an old school way of interacting with the fans. It’s another form of expression for the fans to demonstrate their connect with the show and collect their favorites.”
Fans will also have the opportunity to enter an online contest for a chance to win a trip to Hollywood for the “American Idol” live finale. Each pack of five cards will contain sweepstakes information and offer the opportunity to win other prizes, such as iTunes downloadable songs, a complete set of American Idol collectible cards, and autographs.