‘Register’ Edits Short List To Four Orange County Shops



SANTA ANA, CALIF. – The review for The Orange County Register’s estimated $2 -million account narrowed last week to a pair of Los Angeles shops and two contenders from the newspaper’s backyard.
Industry sources said the short list includes Orange County agencies Backer Spielvogel Bates/West, and dGWB, both in Irvine, Calif., and Los Angeles shops Stein Robaire Helm and Stranger & Associates. Executives at the finalist agencies and the newspaper declined comment.
Suissa Miller/Santa Monica, Calif., was also under consideration, according to co-principal Bruce Miller, but decided against participating because the client ‘could not guarantee a minimum budget or income for the winning agency.’
The newspaper is currently in a fierce circulation battle with the Los Angeles Times Orange County Edition and committed to retaining an agency of record for the first time since the 1980s. The Register leads the competition with 313,411 in daily circulation, 365,864 on Sunday, but has seen the Times roll out aggressive advertising and marketing campaigns in the past year.
Register officials have said they will likely stick with a combination of cable television, radio and outdoor media.
Agency executives are expected to meet with Register officials in early January to discuss marketing and advertising strategy. It’s unknown whether there will be another cut before a final decision.
Register officials said earlier that more than 50 agencies initially expressed interest in the review.
Copyright Adweek L.P. (1993)