LAS VEGAS Four Grand CLIOs were awarded here for Emerging Media efforts on the second night of the 50th anniversary CLIO Awards.
The Emerging Media prizes recognize excellence in four categories: Content & Contact, Innovative Media, Interactive and Integrated. Each bracket generated a Grand Clio at Wednesday’s gala presentation held at The New Joint in the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino,
The Grand Clio winners were:
• Droga5, New York, in the Content & Contact bracket for an effort called “Million” for Million.
• Scholz & Friends in Hamburg, Germany, in the Innovative Media category for “The Doppelherz Poem Reading” on behalf of Doppelherz Health Care Products. Marcello Serpa, partner and general cd at Almap BBDO in Sao Paulo, Brazil, jury chair for the Innovative and Integrated categories, said of that work: “It was fresh and different from everything else. [It was] simple and made people laugh.”
• Crispin Porter + Bogusky, Miami and Boulder, Colo., in the Interactive bracket for Burger King’s “Whopper Sacrifice.” The effort generated considerable controversy. Rather than encouraging consumers to socialize, it invited them to cull unwanted connections from their friends list on Facebook. Rob Reilly, partner and co-ecd at Crispin (he also chaired the Content & Contact jury), said “Whopper Sacrifice” was effective because it leveraged both social media and basic human nature by convincing Facebook users to unfriend others in return for burgers. “We just took it and were able to use it to Burger King’s advantage in a way that was fun. We’re very proud. I’m always humbled and the agency is humbled any time we win anything. I would definitely like to win an interactive award over any other.”
• Obama for America, Washington, D.C., in the Integrated category for the “Obama for America” presidential campaign.
In addition, two special prizes were bestowed. An honorary CLIO was awarded to Mark Cuban, chairman and co-founder of HDNet, investor, Internet entrepreneur and owner of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks. Cuban was recognized as a digital media thought leader who helped pave the way for the entire industry.
Dan Wieden, co-founder and CCO of Wieden + Kennedy, was presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award during a luncheon at AGO, the legendary Vegas eatery owned by Hollywood icon Robert De Niro and restaurateur Agostino Sciandri. Wieden was recognized for his outstanding and ongoing contribution to the ad business.
The evening’s list of Grand and Gold CLIO winners follows:
CONTENT & CONTACT, 10 CLIOs: 1 Grand, 3 Gold, 2 Silver, 4 Bronze
• GRAND CLIO: Droga5, “Million” for Million.
• Bartle Bogle Hegarty, New York, “Oasis Dig Out Your Soul — In the Streets” for Oasis Dig Out Your Soul.
• Crispin Porter + Bogusky, Miami and Boulder, Colo., “Whopper Sacrifice” for Burger King.
INNOVATIVE MEDIA, 26 CLIOs: 1 Grand, 8 Gold, 9 Silver, 8 Bronze
• GRAND CLIO: Scholz & Friends, “The Doppelherz Poem Reading” for Doppelherz Health Care Products.
• Cummins Nitro, Melbourne, Australia, “The Best Job in the World” for Tourism Queensland.
• Dentsu Razorfish, Tokyo, “Melody Road” for Dunlop Tire.
• Deutsch, New York, “D.C. Embrace Change” for Ikea.
• Droga5, New York, “Million” for Million.
• Leo Burnett, Lisbon, Portugal, “The Hope Store+” for Red Cross Portugal.
• Miami Ad School Europe (Student – Sandra Nicolas), Hamburg, Germany, “World Vision Foodmail” for World Vision.
• Saatchi & Saatchi, London, “Dance” for T-Mobile.
INTERACTIVE, 31 CLIOs: 1 Grand, 9 Gold, 5 Silver, 16 Bronze
• GRAND CLIO: Crispin Porter + Bogusky, “Whopper Sacrifice” for Burger King.
• AKQA, London, “eco:Drive” for Fiat.
• Crispin Porter + Bogusky, “Whopper Sacrifice” for Burger King.
• Dipdive, San Jose, Calif., “Yes We Can Song” for Barack Obama for President.
• Goodby, Silverstein & Partners, San Francisco, “Now Widget” for Sprint.
• Goodby, Silverstein & Partners, “Wario Land Shake It!” for Nintendo.
• R/GA, New York, “Nike Football Head2Head” for Nike.
• Superfad¸ New York, “Get It On” for Durex.
• Westerdals School of Communication (Students – Morten Halvorsen, Hallvard Fjeldbraaten), Oslo, Norway, “Claim It!” for Element Skateboards.
INTEGRATED, 13 CLIOs: 1 Grand, 3 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze
• GRAND CLIO: Obama for America, “Obama for America” for Presidential Campaign.
• Berghs School of Communication (Students – Erik Hogfeldt, Gustav Johansson), Stockholm, Sweden, “Fortum Active” for Energy.
• Crispin Porter + Bogusky, “Routan Boom” for Volkswagen of America.
The CLIOs are produced by Nielsen Business Media, part of the Nielsen Co., as is Adweek.
To see a complete list of all Grand, Gold, Silver and Bronze CLIO Award winners in all categories, please visit www.clioawards.com.