LOS ANGELES Omnicom Group's TBWA\Chiat\Day in New York won the 2008 Radio Mercury Awards' $100,000 Grand Prize for its "Broken Hearts" spot touting Mars' Combos. The commercial is part of the brand's larger "Man Mom" campaign.
This is the third consecutive year TBWA\C\D and Mars have won a prize at the competition -- but the first time the pair has teamed up to snare the top award. (TBWA\C\D and Mars scored in '07 for Combos and in '06 for a Starburst commercial, winning General Category prizes in each of those years.)
Winners in this year's General Category were:
- BVK for Shorewest Realty Company
- Crispin Porter + Bogusky for Coke Zero
- DDB Canada for Phillips
- Damman Pearce for Finnegan's Ale
- GSD&M Idea City for Norwegian Cruise Lines
- Saatchi & Saatchi for Smith Micro Systems
- Radio Innovations: The Richards Group for Fruit of the Loom
- Political Ads: Martin/Williams spot for Protect Minnesota
- Entertainment: Radio Savant for Big Bear Mountain Resorts
- Spanish-Language: Bromley Communications for Continental Airlines
- Best Station-Produced Spot: Emmis Communications' Q101, Chicago for Aptera
- Best Urban Commercial: La comunidad for Mun2
- Student Award: University of Texas, Austin for the Austin Silent Film Festival
- Best PSA: Erwin-Penland for Clemson University
The 17th annual Radio Mercury Awards gala was held yesterday at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif.
CLICK HERE to listen to all of the Radio Mercury Award winning spots.