CANNES, France—Pharrell Williams projects were the pride of the Cannes Lions festival here tonight.
Not only did the singer's "24 Hours of Happy" video win a Grand Prix in Cyber, but his RAW for the Oceans line of denim, made of recycled plastic debris reclaimed from the ocean, picked up the Grand Prix in the inaugural Product Design Lions contest as well.
In addition to his musical career, Williams is the creative director of Bionic Yarn, which makes yarn and fabric out of recycled plastic bottles. Bionic Yarn teamed up with G-Star this year to produce the RAW for the Oceans line.
G-Star RAW, FHV BBDO and Part of a Bigger Plan, all in Amsterdam, were listed as the co-entrants of the campaign.
See the video below, and learn more here.
Much like the Creative Effectiveness and Titanium & Integrated Lions, the Product Design Lions do not give out golds, silvers and bronzes. The category simply bestows Product Design Lions—and precious few of them, too. The definition of product design that the jury uses is "the applied use of physical products in aiding the communication of a brand ethos as well as its use to have a positive impact on improving people's lives.
Eight Product Design Lions were presented tonight, three of them to U.S. entrants: Landor Associates and Landscape Forms for redesigning Central Park's waste and recycling receptacles; Nest and Bould Design for developing the Nest Learning Thermostat for the U.K. market; and The Ebeling Group, Not Impossible Labs and Richard Van As/Robohand for its 3-D printing of prosthetic arms in war-torn Sudan.
Here are all the Product Design winners:
• G-Star RAW Amsterdam / FHV BBDO Amsterdam / Part of a Bigger Plan Amsterdam - RAW for the Oceans - The Netherlands - Grand Prix
• Landor Associates New York / Landscape Forms Kalamazoo - Central Park Conservancy Receptacles - USA - Product Design Lion
• Nest Palo Alto / Bould Design Mountain View - Nest Learning Thermostat for the U.K. - USA - Product Design Lion
• The Ebeling Group New York / Not Impossible Labs Venice / Richard Van As | Robohand Johannesburg - Project Daniel: 3D Printing Prosthetic Arms for Children of War-Torn Sudan - USA - Product Design Lion
• Map London - Kano Kit - Kano - United Kingdom - Product Design Lion
• Samsung Electronics Seoul - Food Showcase - South Korea - Product Design Lion
• Ogilvy & Mather London - Freedom Candles - Amnesty International - United Kingdom - Product Design Lion
• Leloi Ab Stockholm - Ora Personal Massager - Sweden - Product Design Lion
• Samsung Electronics Seoul / Samsung Electronics Seoul - Samsung Galaxy Core Advance - South Korea - Product Design Lion