CANNES, France—Coca-Cola added to its impressive legacy of hauling in Cannes Lions by snagging the Media Grand Prix here tonight for a Peruvian campaign from McCann Lima centered on getting people to smile in their ID cards.
Research showed Peru was one of the unhappiest nations in the region, so Coke flew in to change all that. Peruvians must send in their own photos for ID cards, so Coke set up free photo booths around the country that would only take your picture if you smiled. It also partnered with photography stores to give out free Cokes for every smiley photo taken. Happy IDs even served as reward cards and got your discounts.
An integrated campaign including billboards, TV spots and online ads supported the idea by encouraging people to show their happiness. Havas Lima was McCann's media-agency partner on the campaign.
This is McCann's second Grand Prix of the 2014 festival. The agency's Melbourne office won the Grand Prix for Creative Effectiveness on Monday for V/Line's "Guilt Trips" campaign. (McCann Melbourne famously won five Grand Prix last year for "Dumb Ways to Die.")
Among U.S. entrants, Cramer-Krasselt led the way by picking up a gold Lion and a silver Lion for its "Luna Corona" campaign. That work consisted of a fun billboard in New York City which—on certain nights of the month, from a certain angle—makes the waxing crescent moon look like a slice of lime resting in a Corona bottle.
Meanwhile, Samsung's famous Oscars selfie stunt with Ellen DeGeneres earned a silver Lion for 72andSunny.
Here is the full list of U.S. winners.
• Cramer-Krasselt Chicago - Corona Extra's Luna Corona - Media Agency Partner: Delta Media Miami -gold Lion and silver Lion
• 72andSunny Los Angeles - Samsung's Oscars Selfie - Media Agency Partner: Starcom Mediavest Group New York - silver Lion
• Starcom Mediavest Group New York/Droga5 New York - Newcastle Brown Ale's If We Made It - silver Lion and bronze Lion
• Fallon Minneapolis/IFC New York - IFC Presents The Spoils of Babylon - silver Lion
• Starcom Mediavest Group Chicago/Leo Burnett Chicago - #Esurancesave30 - bronze Lion
• Leo Burnett Chicago - McDonald's Literacy Store - bronze Lion
• BBDO New York - Bud Light's Whatever Happens - Media Agency Partner: Starcom New York - bronze Lion
• Starcom Mediavest Group Chicago/Hill Holliday Boston - Bank of America's The First Aids-Free Generation - bronze Lion