IQ News: At Deadline

Compaq Sells AltaVista
Beleaguered computer maker Compaq Computers agreed last week to sell off a majority stake of its search engine AltaVista to Internet venture company CMGi. According to the terms of the agreement, Andover, Mass.-based CMGi will acquire an 83 percent stake in Palo Alto, Calif.-based AltaVista, with Houston-based Compaq retaining the remaining 17 percent and a board seat. The stock exchange is valued at $2.3 billion.

SIG Wins AT&T Biz
AT&T will soon consolidate all creative and media assignments for its interactive account with the Strategic Interactive Group, a unit of Boston-based direct marketing giant and fellow AT&T roster shop Bronnercom. Modem Media.Poppe Tyson, Norwalk, Conn., had handled most of AT&T’s interactive chores, but will be off the roster in 90 days. Sources put spending in the eight-figure range.

Project: Ad Targeting
Ad rep firm Latitude90, Los Angeles, will debut a new rewards program later this quarter called Project Paperclip. Users opt-in to provide demographic and psychographic information, and Latitude90 will use its AdMonitor service to target ads to them.

Bolt Launches Tour
New York-based teen-oriented Web site Bolt.com this week begins a cross-country road trip in a vintage 1964 Airstream trailer to bring awareness to teen rights violations. “The Bolt Power Trip” kicks off in Seattle on Thursday and Chicago on Friday, with other U.S. cities through September. In addition to giving teens a forum to talk about issues affecting them and their peers, the promotional tour will demo the Bolt.com web site.