DDB Files Intent to Protest Calif. Lottery Decision

LOS ANGELES — The fate of the California Lottery account is once again in question.

DDB on Wednesday filed an “intent to protest” the state’s decision to award the five-year, $125 million account to Foote, Cone & Belding’s San Francisco office, lottery officials confirmed. According to lottery contract administrator Rose Marie Laplante-Olvera, the shop plans to protest the decision based on the “belief that established procedures set for the award were not followed.”

DDB has until next Wednesday (Aug. 14) to submit a formal protest, Laplante-Olvera said.

FCB was named the winner last week, pending approval from the lottery commission on Aug. 16. The shop pitched with Initiative Media, Los Angeles.

DDB in Los Angeles was the runner-up for the account, followed by the incumbent, Grey, and McCann-Erickson, also in Los Angeles, sources said.

DDB appeared to have won the business in a lottery review that concluded in January, but following a protest by Grey, lottery officials decided to put the account back in review. Grey’s protest cited that DDB did not properly disclose information about its media buying partner, OMD.

Officials at DDB and FCB could not immediately be reached for comment.