LAS VEGAS Crispin Porter + Bogusky and BBDO were honored as agency and network of the year, respectively, here on Thursday at the 50th anniversary CLIO Awards held at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino.
Crispin, an MDC Partners shop in Miami and Boulder, Colo., had already scored a Grand Clio for its “Whopper Sacrifice” Facebook campaign in the Emerging Media/Integrated category on Wednesday night. On winning agency of the year, Rob Reilly, partner and co-ecd at Crispin, thanked shop staffers, their families and “our clients who continue to amaze us.”
Omnicom’s BBDO in New York was recognized for its worldwide creative excellence across multiple media categories. BBDO creative chief David Lubars said the organization’s “goal is to be a brilliant creative network” and winning at CLIO is “a signpost that we’re making progress.”
In addition, two other special CLIOs were presented on Thursday: MJZ in Los Angeles and London was crowned Production Company of the Year and Volkswagen was named Advertiser of the Year.
Barry Manilow received an honorary CLIO for his work on advertising jingles for brands such as State Farm, Stridex, Band-Aid and Tab. The entertainer also performed a medley of those songs.
Omnicom’s Goodby, Silverstein & Partners, San Francisco, won the 2009 Hall of Fame prize for its “Aaron Burr” spot for the California Milk Processors Board.
Earlier at the show, Mad Men creator and executive producer Matthew Weiner and Internet investor/entrepreneur Mark Cuban received honorary CLIOs. Dan Wieden, co-founder of Wieden + Kennedy, was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award.
The final night of the three-day CLIO Festival saw the following Grand and Gold prizes awarded for TV/Cinema/Digital & Technique and Design:
TV/CINEMA/DIGITAL & TECHNIQUE, 83 CLIOs: 15 Gold, 25 Silver, 43 Bronze
• Amber Music, New York, “Damn Boots” for Nomis Shoes.
• BETC Euro RSCG, Paris, “Versailles, Mafia” for Canal+.
• Cut+Run, Santa Monica, Calif., “Gymnasts” for Audi RS 6.
• Johannes Leonardo, New York, “Damn Boots” for Nomis Football Boots.
• Kempertrautmann, Hamburg, Germany, “Filter” for Audi TDI.
• Ogilvy & Mather, Taipei, Taiwan, “Soap” for Wego.
• Ogilvy & Mather, Tokyo, “Beauty Bowling” for Esthe WAM.
• Park Pictures, New York, “This Is Your Final Wake-Up Call” for Nike.
• Partizan, Los Angeles, “Dance” for T-Mobile.
• RKCR/Y&R, London, “Love at First Flight” for Virgin Atlantic 25 Years.
• Saatchi & Saatchi, New York, “Bulldozer, Pre Nup, Lice” for Crest.
• Saatchi & Saatchi, New York, “Bulldozer” for Crest.
• TBWA\Chiat\Day, New York, “Piñata” for Skittles.
• The Mill, New York, “It’s Mine” for Coke.
• Wieden + Kennedy, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, “Library” for Coca-Cola.
Design, 30 CLIOs: 1 Grand, 3 Gold, 7 Silver, 19 Bronze
• GRAND CLIO: ART+COM, Berlin for Mechatronical Installation.
• Collins, New York, Corporate Identity, for the Alliance for Climate Protection.
• Euro RSCG, Dusseldorf, Germany for Quirin Bank.
The CLIOs are produced by Nielsen Business Media, part of the Nielsen Co., as is Adweek.