The Victrola. Stereo sound. CDs. The iPod. What’s the next step in the evolution of the music industry?
We can’t say for sure, but we do know that Clio Music—the latest extension of the Clio Awards, Adweek’s sibling that celebrates the best in advertising—recognizes the best creative work promoting music across the spectrum of media and advertising. Clio Music will start seeking nominations today at clioawards.com.
Clio Music will consider work that pushes the creative boundaries and demonstrates ahead-of-the-curve thinking in music, including artist self-promotion, music marketing and brand collaborations, as well as the use of music in ad campaigns. Clio sibling Billboard magazine will act as media partner for the nascent program.
"Music is as powerful an asset as any in the creative mix, so it's only fitting to include it as a new program in the Clio legacy," said Nicole Purcell, evp, Clio.
Submissions will be judged on site in New York, and the panel of jurors includes:
- Tom Poleman, president of national programming platforms, Clear Channel Radio;
- Liana Huth, svp of partnerships and events, Fuse;
- Willo Perron, WP&A;
- Brian Loucks, talent agent, CAA;
- Javier Farfan, senior director of cultural branding, PepsiCo;
- Molly Peck, director of advertising and sales promotion, Chevrolet;
- Mike Mahan, president of Dick Clark Productions.
Entries are open to agencies, record labels, production companies, musicians, managers and brands that have made contributions to advertising and marketing through music. The entry types and media include:
- Tour concepts
- Commercials (less than 1 minute)
- Short form (between 1-5 minutes)
- Long form (more than 5 minutes)
Innovative Media: Work that uses advertising and marketing in a new, unique or especially creative manner.
Integrated Media: Consisting of at least one ad from a minimum three media types (audio, design, digital, film, innovative media, out of home, print).
Partnerships/Collaborations: For ads, promotions or events based on a business arrangement between two or more entities including (but not limited to) brands, artists and/or organizations.
- Social media
Clio Music winners will be announced at the 2014 Clio Awards in New York on Oct. 1.