Adweek Media Survey

If you work with a media service, does it provide planning as well as buying, or buying only?

Planning and Buying: 65%
Buying Only: 16%
Planning Only: 1%
No Answer: 18%

Food & Beverage: 89%
Entertainment: 75%
Automotive: 74%
Computers: 69%
Financial Services: 40%
Pharmaceutical: 40%
Telecom: 25%

Pharmaceutical: 60%
Telecom: 37%
Entertainment: 25%
Consumer Durables: 20%
Food & Beverages: 6%
Automotive: 4%
Computers: –
Financial Services: –

Responses were not statistically projectible for this category

Advertisers prefer to place media planning and buying responsibilities at one entity. The survey finds that more than 65 percent of respondents who work with an external media agency receive both planning and buying services from that resource. Only 16 percent of respondents use a media service for buying only and almost none—1 percent—receive media planning only.

In only three of the eight categories represented in the client survey do less than half of respondents use a media service for both planning and buying. These include the Financial Services and Pharmaceutical categories, both at 40 percent, and Telecommunications advertisers at 25 percent. And only Pharmaceutical advertisers indicate mostly buying-only relationships with their media resources. In that category, 60 percent of respondents use a media agency for buying only. In none of the remaining survey categories do more than 40 percent of respondents work with an agency that does only media buying.

These findings are probably due to the fact that it is easier for clients to manage a single media resource rather than multiple resources—one of the primary motivators for the wave of media consolidation reviews of the past two years. Efficient management through one resource globally or in the U.S. was a major motivation for consolidation reviews by Unilever ($700 million), Kraft ($700 million) Verizon ($400 million), General Mills ($450 million) and ExxonMobil ($100 million), among others.