Evening News Ratings: Week of June 10

By A.J. Katz 

World News Tonight’s ratings hot streak continued during the week of June 10.

ABC finished No. 1 in the evenings across the board for the second consecutive week, out-delivering its NBC rival by +855,000 total viewers , and +32,000 adults 25-54. The David Muir-anchored newscast also more than doubled its Total Viewer victory over the NBC Nightly News year to year (+148%), posted slight year-over-year total viewer growth and and won for the 37th time in the 38 weeks of the season in total viewers.

World News Tonight is presently delivering its largest advantage Over NBC in total viewers in 23 years


Despite finishing second for the week, NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt won Monday among adults 25-54 and remains the top evening newscast to date in the demo. Last week, Holt interviewed Jason Kander, a veteran and former Missouri Secretary of State, who opened up for the first time about withdrawing from the Kansas City mayoral race last year to seek help for PTSD.

Versus the comparable week in 2018, ABC was +1% in total viewers, NBC was -6% in total viewers, while the CBS Evening News (anchored by Face the Nation moderator Margaret Brennan) was -7%. In the A25-54 demo, ABC was -6%, NBC -9% and CBS -10% vs. the comparable week last year.

Due to Game 5 on Monday (6/10/19) and Game 6 on Thursday (6/13/19) of the NBA Finals, World News Tonight was retitled to “Wrld News Tonite.”   In addition, due to Game 7 on Wednesday (6/12/19) of the Stanley Cup Finals, NBC Nightly News was retitled to “NBC Nitely News.” As a result, ABC’s averages are based on 3 days (Tue, Wed and Fri), while NBC’s averages are based on 4 days (Mon, Tue, Thurs and Fri).

Numbers for the week of June 10 2019:

• Total Viewers: 7,730,000 6,875,000 5,160,000
• A25-54: 1,461,000 1,429,000 987,000




Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI Total Viewers, Adults 25-54 Live + SD, 2018-19 Current Week (w/o 6/10/19), and Year-Ago Week (w/o 6/11/18). Season to date: Most Current: 2018 -2019 Season (9/24/18 – 6/16/19) and 2017-2018 Season (9/25/18 – 6/17/18). Averages based on regular telecasts.