Woman Threatens to Blow Up KOAT, Gets Arrested

By Kevin Eck 

The Albuquerque Journal reports, a woman has been arrested for threatening to blow up ABC affiliate KOAT over a report the station did on her daughter.

KOAT reported the woman’s daughter, Valerie Montoya, was pulled over for driving a van erratically. Police found cocaine and a pipe inside the van. Montoya had a suspended driver’s license and a warrant for domestic violence charges.

A few days later, police learned she took the van she was driving from a elderly vet “by pretending to be his long-lost little sister.”


Maricopa County police Lt. Andrew Owen told KOAT, “When she bonded out from here, she went back to Phoenix and stole another vehicle, on top of guns and approximately $40,000 worth of money and items from the [man’s] home.”

The Albuquerque Journal reports, Montoya’s mom, Petra Baca, threatened the station over the story. She also threatened two Bosque Farms police officers.

When officers arrived at Baca’s house she denied threatening the station and was uncooperative, according to the complaint. Officers said she threatened to take pills, threw items around her apartment and said she was going to get a gun from her room.

After officers followed Baca into her bedroom so she could get her medication she let her dog out of a cage, the complaint said, and the dog bit an officer on the back of the leg, breaking the skin. Baca said the dog had bitten an officer before.

Police said Baca continued to throw items — including a fake flower — around the apartment and dug her nails into an officer’s hand, breaking the skin. When medical personnel arrived she refused to extinguish her cigarette and was uncooperative, according to the complaint.

Her daughter said Baca had been angry most of the day because Montoya had to go to court. After Montoya bonded out of jail in New Mexico, she returned to Arizona where she was arrested for allegedly stealing another car, guns and $40,000, according to KOAT-TV.

Baca was taken to Lovelace Women’s Hospital before she was booked into the Metropolitan Detention Center on two counts of battery on a peace officer. She was released Monday.