Things are going to be pretty dull for local sports anchors and reporters over the next few weeks (let’s hope it’s only weeks).
When the National Basketball Association declared an early end to the season last night, it was only a matter of time before other leagues followed suit. First, Major League Soccer and the National Hockey League cancelled their seasons, followed by the PGA Tour and Nascar announcing spectator-less experiences.
Then Major League Baseball announced it was pushing back the start of the season, followed by the NCAA cancelling the annual March Madness basketball tournament.
We gathered some of the reactions from sports anchors during late newscasts from stations across the country tonight.
- “Things are about to get weird in the sports world, and really sparse.” – WCTI, New Bern, N.C.
- “The world of sports has come to a screeching halt.” – WQAD, Quad Cities
- “The sports world shutting down on Thursday, with concern over coronavirus.” – WLNE, Providence, R.I.
- “What a day in the world of sports, unlike anything we have seen in a long while, even in the modern era.” – WTVC, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- “We often think of sports as an escape. We don’t want to hear about politics for a day. Let’s see who’s playing tonight. The winter blues gone by the wayside. This coronavirus crisis taking sports away across the world.” – WSTM, Syracuse, N.Y.
- “Sports are the great escape, especially this time of the year.” – KSAS, Wichita, Kan.
- “There aren’t a lot of sports highlights right now.” – WXIX, Cincinnati
- “Last night we saw the sports world shaken by the coronavirus. Now tonight, you might think it is rocked to its core.” KFXL, Lincoln, Neb.
- “Another crazy day in the world of sports postponements and cancellations.” – KDVR, Denver
- “The roller coaster turned into the tower of terror today. It all started with the NBA suspending their season and then like dominos all in a row, the rest of the professional and amateur sports world followed suit.” – WTVA, Columbus, Miss.