Morning Show Ratings: Week of May 13

By A.J. Katz Comment

Good Morning America was the most-watched morning show for the week of May 13, while Today show ranked No. 1 in the news advertiser-friendly A25-54 demo.

GMA has been No. 1 in total viewers for six consecutive seasons, and appears to be on its way to a 7th consecutive season win. At least right now.

In addition, the ABC morning show is cutting its season margins with Today in A25-54 (-5% – 156,000 vs. 165,000).

Over on NBC – for the 177th consecutive week, Today finished No. 1 across morning TV among adults 25-54. Not only did Today win the week in the demo, but it also beat GMA and CBS This Morning last Wednesday and Thursday in total viewers. However, it failed to match GMA in total viewers on Monday, Tuesday and Friday.

Only 47,000 total viewers separate Today and GMA this season to-date, a margin of just 1%.

Versus the comparable week in 2018, ABC was -4% in total viewers, NBC was -5% in total viewers, while CBS was -9%. In the A25-54 demo, ABC was -7%, NBC -10%, and CBS -15% vs. the comparable week last year.

It’s worth noting that The Royal Wedding took place during the year-ago week, an event which delivered huge ratings for all of the morning shows. Today ended up finishing No. 1 across the board that week.

Lastly, the week of May 13 was the final one with Norah O’Donnell and John Dickerson as CTM co-hosts. Anthony Mason and Tony Dokoupil replaced them on a permanent basis yesterday. O’Donnell becomes CBS Evening News anchor this summer, while Dickerson heads to 60 Minutes.

Numbers for the week of May 13 2019:

ABC NBC CBS
• Total Viewers: 3,997,000 3,925,000 3,013,000
• A25-54: 1,151,000 1,282,000 749,000

 

 

 

Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI Total Viewers, Adults 25-54 Live + SD, 2018-19 Current Week (w/o 5/13/19), and Year-Ago Week (w/o 5/14/18).  Season to date: Most Current: 2018 -2019 Season (9/24/18 – 5/19/19) and 2017-2018 Season (9/25/18 – 5/20/18).  Averages based on regular telecasts. 

Advertisement
Advertisement