Ban Facebook at Work? The Brits think so…

By OnDownLow 

In a blow to the Mark Zuckerberg’s of the world, a majority of employees in the UK believe that social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace should be banned from the workplace.

A survey of 1000 people by online survey provider Ciao Surveys has revealed that 65% of people in Britain think that social networking sites should be banned at work, even though 56% admitted to being a member of at least one.


The proportion of respondents wanting such a ban rose steadily with age, from 42% of 18- to 24-year-olds to 78% of those aged 55 and older.

The survey revealed that single people were most likely to use these sites and to be a member of multiple social networking sites (it is all about the social networking hookups these days after all – letting your friends pimp you out to their friends in the simple ways of the internet.)

In terms of age, 90% of 18- to 24-year-old respondents used social networking sites (and the other 10% lied it seems.)

While usage figures decreased with age, 39% of respondents older than 55 engaged in some form of online social networking — which can include talking to each other while they play online games like chess and cards.

Additionally, a quarter of respondents believed that social networking sites are a ‘passing fad’, although those aged 55+ were the least likely to think this.

Facebook was the most popular social networking site, with 36% of of the survey’s respondents claiming to be a member. Friends Reunited came in second and MySpace third.

Facebook is also the most popular site for all age groups aside from the over-55s, who are more likely to use Friends Reunited than any other networking site.