After shutting off alarm clocks, the next action people usually take on their phones each morning is to check The Weather Channel app. Together with exclusive launch partner Toyota, The Weather Company has launched a redesigned Weather Channel app for Android – the first major redesign of the app since 2009. Upgrades include a simpler interface, an immediate display of weather conditions with exact timing of when rain will begin and end, and improved maps and video offerings.
The way consumers want their forecast presented to them has evolved, and Cameron Clayton, president, digital division, at The WeatherCompany, echoed this in discussing the redesign: “Our new app is more relevant – whether it’s an image that displays your local weather or helps to better plan your day based on rain start/stop times, it’s all about how the weather matters to each consumer.”
As we saw on the Northeast during Hurricane Sandy and Nemo, weather is certainly one of the biggest social conversation drivers. TheWeather Channel has displayed a keen understanding of this and have positioned themselves as both a social tv and digital powerhouse.
Below, some of the new Android app features:
- Easier access to current conditions, severe weather information, hourly forecasts, 36-hour forecasts, and 10-day forecasts
- An immediate narrative of what to expect, ie. “dry conditions will continue,” “expect rain until 4 p.m.,” gives users a better idea of how weather will affect their day.
- New localized maps and map layers include past and future radar, severe weather bulletins, and tropical cyclone tracking.
- Beautiful, relevant imagery and weather-triggered backgrounds
- Simpler user interface for easy-to-use navigation and quicker access to information
- Improved management for saved locations enables a more intuitive user interface. Set up your favorites to take full advantage of new weather widgets and notifications.
- Option to expand detailed weather data that is collapsed for a better visual experience
- Share weather forecasts, maps, alerts and more with family and friends to Facebook, Twitter and other major social networks.
- Automatic updates of localized weather, using your current TruPointSM location, and a new refresh button for immediate updates
- A better selection of videos