Larry Sprinkle Tells Viewers He’s OK After Last Week’s Accident

By Kevin Eck 

WCNC let viewers know how Larry Sprinkle is doing after his accident last week.

Sprinkle invited Deborah Collura, GM of the Charlotte NBC affiliate, to visit him in the hospital where he’s recovering from several broken bones including multiple fractures in both of his legs, a broken ankle and cracked ribs.

“I appreciate all the outpouring of support and warm wishes from everyone,” Sprinkle told Collura.


“The driver of the other car suffered minor injuries and has been treated and released from the hospital,” reports WCNC. “NBC Charlotte spoke with the driver’s family. They say he is recovering well. The family is a fan of Larry and they wish him well.”

Sprinkle also recounted what happend. Here’s what he wrote:

“So it happened Wednesday afternoon – I was traveling to Charlotte after seeing family in South Carolina.

Like many days in Charlotte, traffic was a nightmare. I was traveling on 485 when the ‘mystery moment’ happened. Traffic abruptly stopped and I didn’t. I don’t remember what happened.

The next thing I knew I was surrounded by a lot of people – emergency technicians and firefighters.

I was trapped with the front dash of my car on top of me. I was immobile and I was having a hard time breathing. The dashboard of my car was crushing my chest.

At some point I heard one of the rescue workers say, ‘Look, that’s Larry Sprinkle the weather guy’.

I told the firefighters they needed to use the Jaws of Life to get me out and they responded, ‘You are right about that.’

I knew it was a serious situation and I couldn’t breathe. I asked one of the firefighters to please stay with me as they pulled me out.

“Don’t leave me,” I said.

And the firefighter responded, “Don’t worry, I won’t. I will put a blanket in front of you so you don’t have to watch.”

I put all of my faith and trust in them as they rescued me.

That firefighter stayed with me every step of the way. He rode in the ambulance with me and held my hand.”