Indianapolis News Legend Says He’ll Retire Come December

By Stephanie Tsoflias Siegel Comment

WISH anchor, Dave Barras, is retiring after 37 years.

He started at the station in 1980 and will leave December 1, for a reason.

“I was 27 years old on my first day of work at WISH-TV. I remember on that first day as I was sitting in human resources signing up for healthcare and getting my station policy guide, our H.R. director told me my anticipated retirement date was December 1st 2017. Understand, this was 1980. I laughed out loud. That date was so far in the future it seemed absurd to even think about it. But you know what they say about time. It flies. And so, today I want to share something else with you,” Barras said in a Facebook post.

Barras, who is the main anchor for the Nexstar owned station in Indianapolis, told viewers he will retire to start a new journey.

“Fittingly, on December 1st, 2017, a Friday, I will end my career in television news. We will spend time with family, travel occasionally and enjoy each others company.
Don’t worry, Brooke Martin will still be with you. I have trained her well. And the WISH-TV team isn’t going anywhere.”

Barras joined the stations as a weekend assignment editor and reporter. His duties gradually evolved to those of the business-economics reporter. He anchored WISH-TV’s Daybreak for more than two decades. He currently anchors 24-Hour News 8 at Noon and 5:00-7:00.

The station put together a farewell video for Barras, you can watch below.

Advertisement
Advertisement