As we are about to begin a new year, today I provide a Top Ten list of things everyone in TV news should promise to do in 2010 every single day.
1. Look at your video before writing your story.
2. Write directly to your video. See it, say it.
3. Start with your best stuff.
4. Avoid cute-and-clever writing and play-on-words.
5. Be direct and to-the-point in writing.
6. Pick soundbites that add emotion as compared to just facts.
7. Avoid generic wallpaper video.
8. Use more natural sound.
9. Avoid content that is obvious, that viewers already know.
10. Come to the morning meeting with story ideas that can be done that day.
These are just a few of the many “must-do’s,” and each person likely has his or her own list. I will include a few more next week, so I’d like to hear from Shoptalk readers if there are things you’d like me to include in next week’s list. Send your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org
Doug Drew is a morning news specialist with 602 Communications. You can reach him at email@example.com.