Sunday Show Ratings: September 29

By Merrill Knox 

With a government shutdown looming, CBS’ “Face the Nation” won in both total viewers and the A25-54 demographic on September 29. “Face” notched the win despite not being seen in New York, where the show was preempted for WCBS’ coverage of the annual Tunnel to Towers race.

Compared to the same week last year, only ABC’s “This Week” was up in both ratings measurements: the show grew +5% in both total viewers and the demo. NBC’s “Meet the Press” was flat in total viewers and up +6% in the demo, while Univision’s “Al Punto” was up +11% and down -14%, respectively. “Face the Nation” (-2% / -3%) and “Fox News Sunday” (-32%/-47%)  were down across the board.

Cable replays of “Fox News Sunday” averaged a combined 1,549,000 total viewers and 319,000 A25-54 viewers. Cable rebroadcasts of “Meet the Press” delivered an additional 1,429,000 total viewers and 601,000 A25-54 viewers.


“Face the Nation” is based on the first half-hour only, as the full contiguous hour aired in just 50% of the country.

The numbers for September 29:

Network Program Total Viewers A25-54
“Face the Nation” 3.02M 935K
“Meet the Press” 2.90M 839K
ABC “This Week” 2.73M 785K
Fox “Fox News Sunday” 993K 316K
Univision “Al Punto” 783K 326K