Q2 2019 Sunday Show Ratings: Meet the Press Marks 6 Consecutive Quarters at No. 1

By A.J. Katz 

The Lost Remote newsletter brings you the the best in streaming news, from staffing changes to premiere dates to trailers—to the latest platform moves. Sign up today.

Another quarter, another ratings win for NBC’s Meet the Press.

The Chuck Todd-moderated program marked its 6th consecutive quarter as the most-watched Sunday politics program among adults 25-54 and in total viewers.

According to the most-current data from Nielsen, MTP averaged 3.11 million total viewers for Q2 2019, roughly +9% more than CBS and +20% more than ABC.

The broadcast also won in the key demo, averaging 721,000 A25-54 viewers in Q2. topping both ABC and CBS by double-digits. MTP topped ABC by +20% and CBS by +24% among adults 25-54. This is MTP’s 14th consecutive quarterly win in the key demo.

CBS’ Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan held strong as the second-most-watched Sunday public affairs show for Q2, ahead of ABC and Fox. On the downside, the program continued to finish No. 3 among adults 25-54, behind ABC.

Speaking of ABC, This Week with George Stephanopoulos finished No. 2 among adults 25-54 and No. 3 in total viewers in Q2 2019. ABC’s Sunday public affairs program has now defeated its CBS counterpart in A25-54 for five consecutive second quarters – since Q2 ’15.

Fox News Sunday hosted by Chris Wallace on Fox remained No. 4.

Compared to Q2 2018, NBC was -3% in total viewers, CBS was -6% in total viewers, ABC was -10%, while Fox was also -6%. In the A25-54 demo, NBC was -13%, CBS was -9%, ABC -18% and Fox was -10% vs. Q2 of last year.

The numbers for Q2 2019:

Network Program Total Viewers A25-54
Meet the Press 3,110,000 732,000
CBS Face the Nation (1/2 hr) 2,825,000 581,000
ABC This Week 2,582,000 606,000
FOX Fox News Sunday 1,230,000 335,000

This past Sunday, MTP was again No. 1 across the board, topping both ABC and CBS by double-digits in total viewers and A25-54 viewers.

The NBC Sunday show averaged 2.9 million total viewers this past Sunday, +19% more than CBS, and +26% more than ABC.

Meet the Press also won in the key news demo with 688,000 A25-54 demo viewers tuning in to the Sunday program, +32% more than ABC and +35% more than CBS.

Season-to-date, MTP is the No. 1 Sunday show across the board, delivering its best total viewer lead over ABC in seven years and CBS in eight years.

An additional 763,000 total viewers and 136,000 A25-54 viewers watched the program through re-runs on NBC and MSNBC.

Fox News Sunday hosted by Chris Wallace delivered 1.11 million total viewers and 281,000 demo viewers on the broadcast network. The trio of cable replays hauled 2.45 million total viewers and 450,000 demo viewers. Altogether, that’s roughly 3.56 million total viewers and 731,000 A25-54 viewers on June 30.

Compared to the same Sunday in 2018, NBC was +1% in total viewers, and ABC was -3%. Face the Nation was pre-empted on this Sunday last year, as was Fox News Sunday in most markets due to the World Cup. In the A25-54 demo, NBC was -4%, and ABC was -1% vs. Q2 of last year.

The numbers for June 30:

Network Program Total Viewers A25-54
Meet the Press 2,884,000 688,000
CBS Face the Nation (1/2 hr) 2,422,000 509,000
ABC This Week 2,283,000 522,000
FOX Fox News Sunday 1,107,000 281,000

Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI (Total Viewers and Adults 25-54); Live + SD for 6/30/19, 6/23/19 and 7/1/18 or as dated. Season to date: Most Current: 2018 -2019 Season (9/24/18 – 6/30/19) and 2017-2018 Season (9/25/17 – 7/1/18). Most Current – 2Q19: 4/1 – 6/30/19, – 2Q18: 4/2 – 7/1/18 and 1Q19: 12/31/18 – 3/31/19. Averages based on regular telecasts.