The Lost Remote newsletter brings you the the best in streaming news, from staffing changes to premiere dates to trailers—to the latest platform moves. Sign up today.
New month, similar trend: Fox News Channel had the most-watched shows on cable news, not only in average total audience but also among the key A25-54 demographic.
The Five marked yet another month at No. 1 in average total viewers, averaging nearly 3.14 million total viewers in the 5 p.m. hour during the month of June 2022. The panel news-talk program averaged the second-largest A25-54 audience on cable news (433,000), according to Nielsen live-plus-same-day data.
Tucker Carlson Tonight remains the top cable news show among adults 25-54. In June, the 8 p.m. opinion news show averaged 482,000 viewers from the demo and 3.07 million total viewers at 8 p.m., the latter of which is No. 2 in cable news.
The 7 p.m. Jesse Watters Primetime was the third-most-watched cable news show in June (2.57 million), edging the 9 p.m. Hannity (2.555 million), with the 6 p.m. Special Report with Bret Baier (2.31 million) rounding out the top five in average total viewers for June 2022.
All in all, Fox News Channel is home to the top six cable news shows in total viewers—and the top nine shows among adults 25-54 for the month of June.
The Rachel Maddow Show (known as MSNBC Prime Tuesdays-Fridays) was MSNBC’s most-watched show for June (2.12 million viewers at 9 p.m.), No. 7 overall. Anderson Cooper 360 remained CNN’s most-watched show (700,000 in June), although it was only the 28th-most-watched show on cable news. Fox News and MSNBC programming captured the top 27 spots.
Here are the 10 most-watched cable news shows for June 2022, as per live-plus-same-day data from Nielsen.
- Fox News | 5 p.m. /The Five: 3,142,000 / 19 telecasts
- Fox News | 8 p.m. / Tucker Carlson Tonight: 3,068,000 / 18 telecasts
- Fox News | 7 p.m./ Jesse Watters Primetime: 2,571,000 / 18 telecasts
- Fox News | 9 p.m./ Hannity: 2,555,000 / 16 telecasts
- Fox News | 6 p.m. / Special Report with Bret Baier: 2,312,000 / 18 telecasts
- Fox News | 10 p.m./The Ingraham Angle: 2,124,000 / 16 telecasts
- MSNBC | 9 p.m./The Rachel Maddow Show: 2,124,000/ 6 telecasts
- Fox News | 11 p.m./Gutfeld! : 1,952,000 / 17 telecasts
- Fox News | 12 p.m. / Outnumbered: 1,723,000 / 17 telecasts
- Fox News | 9-10 a.m./10-11 a.m./America’s Newsroom: 1,566,000 /36 telecasts
Below, the cable news show ranker that’s sorted by most to fewest average total viewers:
How about the top cable news shows among adults 25-54? After all, this is a demographic that advertisers of news traditionally focus their ad dollars on.
After Tucker Carlson Tonight and The Five, Hannity averaged more adults 25-54 than Jesse Watters Primetime (381,000 vs. 351,000) with The Ingraham Angle (335,000) rounding out the top five cable news shows among the ad-friendly demo.
Fox News had the top nine shows on cable news among adults 25-54 this past month. The once-weekly The Rachel Maddow Show came in at No. 10 with a 227,000 A25-54 average.
As is the case in average total viewers, CNN’s top show in the key A25-54 demo for June is Anderson Cooper 360. The network’s 8 p.m. show averaged 155,000 viewers from the measurement (No. 17 on cable news).
Here are the top 10 cable news shows among adults 25-54 for Nov. 2021, as per live-plus-same-day data from Nielsen:
- Fox News| 8 p.m./ Tucker Carlson Tonight: 482,000 / 18 telecasts
- Fox News | 5 p.m. / The Five: 433,000 / 19 telecasts
- Fox News | 9 p.m. / Hannity: 381,000 / 16 telecasts
- Fox News | 7 p.m. / Jesse Watters Primetime: 351,000 / 18 telecasts
- Fox News | 10 p.m./The Ingraham Angle: 335,000 / 16 telecasts
- Fox News | 11 p.m./Gutfeld!: 327,000 / 17 telecasts
- Fox News | 6 p.m. / Special Report with Bret Baier: 323,000 / 18 telecasts
- Fox News | 12 p.m./Outnumbered: 247,000 / 17 telecasts
- Fox News | 2-3, 3-4 p.m. / America Reports: 230,000 / 32 telecasts
- MSNBC | 9 p.m. / The Rachel Maddow Show: 227,000 / 6 telecasts
Below, the full cable news program ranker sorted by most to fewest adults 25-54: