Confession: we’re still not quite sure what Zumba is.
Many face the same dilemma despite the fact that the company “counts 15 million weekly dance class participants in a 180 countries worldwide.” For this reason, Zumba enlisted 180LA to remind viewers what it’s all about, and the resulting spot — which debuted yesterday — is energetic enough to qualify as a public health hazard:
The main concept here is to promote Zumba to the public at large rather than catering to the sort of “gym junkies with unattainable bodies” that you might meet at, say, a Diplo set in L.A.
For the record, we also appreciate the presence of “nightclub bouncer” and “pudgy middle management dude” to subtly counter the idea that Zumba is a strictly-for-women phenomenon.
More info and credits below.
The release tells us that the idea was “conceptualized and created” by 180 and directed by “renowned twin brothers Jonathan and Josh Baker” of TWiN Thing, who shared it on Vimeo.
The release also notes that 180LA brought in “sports advertising expert”/W+K veteran Janet Champ to help with creative.
Here are a couple of print ads with copy:
- Agency: 180LA
- Client: Zumba
- Managing Partner, Chairman: Chris Mendola
- Chief Creative Officer: William Gelner
- Creative Director/Copywriter: Janet Champ
- Creative Director/Art Director: Marta Ibarrondo
- Head of Production: Natasha Wellesley
- Producer: Kevin Diller
- Account Manager: Jessica DeLillo
- Production Company: RESET
- Director: TWiN
- Managing Director: Dave Morrison
- Executive Producer: Jeff MacDougall
- Bidding Producer: Jenn Ingalls
- Head of Production: Amanda Clune
- Producer: Ed Callaghan
- Service Company: Capital Media Company
- Executive Producer: Christian Allen
- Head of Production: Keely Stothers
- Editorial Company: Beast
- Executive Producer: Jerry Sukys
- Producer: Annie Maldonado
- Editor: Paul Norling
- Assistant Editor: Ryan Dahlman