WNCF sports director Adam Bagni is leaving the Montgomery ABC-affiliate.
Bagni’s contract expired last Thursday and he recently turned down a multi-year extension to stay with the station.
“It was an extremely difficult decision, one which I did not take lightly, but I feel it’s in my best interest at this point in my life,” Bagni said last Wednesday in an staff email obtained by MTR, a blog covering Montgomery media.
Bagni joined WNCF in 2008 after working for the New England Sports Network (NESN). Last year he won the Judge’s Award for Television Sportscaster of the Year from the Alabama Broadcasters Association.
“I don’t have anything lined up yet, and it’s always scary when you’re not sure what’s next, but I think sometimes you have to leave a situation in order to move forward,” he told TVSpy via email on Tuesday. “I have big aspirations, and I’m willing to work hard to get there, so I’m looking forward to focusing on that full-time.”
Bagni agreed to stay with the station through the end of the sweeps period even though his contract expired last week. His last day on the the air is Wednesday.
Bagni grew up in Taunton, MA, outside of Boston, and he says that he would love to make a move back to the Northeast so that he could be closer to family, especially to a market with professional sports.
“I’ll go anywhere that’s a step forward,” he said.