A busy news month gave CNN the most growth of the cable news networks in August. CNN was up +46% in total viewers and up +43% in A25-54 viewers for total day viewing finishing #2 behind Fox News.
The ratings for August 2014 (Nielsen Live + Same Day data):
- Primetime (Mon-Sun): 629,000 Total Viewers / 214,000 A25-54
- Total Day (Mon-Sun): 503,000 Total Viewers / 154,000 A25-54
In primetime, CNN was up +39% in viewers and up +60% in the demo vs. August 2013 which was a comparatively slow news month. CNN
“Anderson Cooper 360″ was up +38% in viewers and up +73% in the demo. At 10pmET, “CNN Tonight,” which last year was an “AC360″ re-air, was up +49% in viewers and up +70% in the demo. “New Day” topped MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” with a +14% advantage in total viewers and +66% lead in the demo. And the network continues to see success with its original series: “The Sixties,” which wrapped its eight-episode Thursday run in the middle of the month. It was the network’s most-watched show drawing 726,000 viewers. “The Hunt with John Walsh,” was #1 in its Sunday 9pmET time period in total viewers and the demo.
Even with a strong August, CNN is delivering its least-watched year since 1996 in Total Day among total viewers. Year-to-date CNN is ahead of MSNBC in total day in both total viewers and the demo.
CNN’s release after the jump…
CNN RANKS #2 IN CABLE NEWS IN AUGUST
HAS 50% ADVANTAGE OVER MSNBC IN M-F PRIME-TIME
CNN Jumps +77% in Primetime and +43% in Total Day vs. Last Year
New Day Beats MSNBC’s Morning Joe Four out of the Past Six Months; AC 360/CNN Programming tops MSNBC at Both 8/9pm
MSNBC Slips to 4t in Total Day; Rachel Maddow has Second Worst Month Ever
CNN’s Original Series and Weekend Programming Continue to Post Strong Ratings
For the month of August, 2014:
· CNN ranks #2 in Total Day among total viewers (505k vs. MSNBC’s 344k) and in the key demo 25-54 rating (154k vs. MSNBC’s 102k).
· CNN ranks #2 in M-Su Primetime among total viewers (639k vs. MSNBC’s 576k) and in the demo 25-54 (218k vs. MSNBC’s 154k).
· CNN ranks #2 in M-F Primetime in the demo 25-54 (237k vs. MSNBC’s 158k).
· CNN ranks #2 in Dayside (9a-4p), posting a 130% advantage over MSNBC in total viewers (580k vs. MSNBC’s 252k) and 161% more in the demo (146k vs MSNBC’s 56k).
· CNN ranks #1 in Weekend Primetime, topping both Fox and MSNBC in the key demo (170k vs. Fox’s 144k vs. MSNBC’s 143k).
CNN topped MSNBC for the second straight month and for the fourth time in the last six months in Total Day among total viewers and 25-54. In M-F Primetime, CNN easily topped MSNBC posting a 50% advantage in the key demo (237k vs. MSNBC’s 158k). (In M-F primetime, CNN had 682k and MSNBC 683k among P2+.) For the first time in over a year (since July, 2013), CNN moved past MNSBC in total day and M-Su prime in both total viewers and the demo 25-54. Year-to-date CNN ranks ahead of MSNBC in total day in both total viewers and the demo.
In August, CNN grew more than any other cable news outlet, increasing double-digits from year ago in all three key dayparts. All CNN primetime hours also registered the largest growth across cable news.
· In Total Day, CNN is up +46% in total viewers/ +43% among 25-54.
· In M-Su Primetime, CNN is up +40% in total viewers/+59% among 25-54.
· In M-F Primetime, CNN is up +45% in total viewers/+77% among 25-54
This month, MSNBC ranked 4th in Total Day (102k) in the demo and was the only cable news network to lose viewers vs. a year ago, declining -15%. In Daytime (9a-4p) MSNBC posted 56k, its third lowest 25-54 delivery since June, 2006 (55k). MSNBC also ranked #3 in M-Su primetime in the demo, this represents MSNBC’s lowest monthly primetime delivery since July 2006 among 25-54. MSNBC’s flagship program The Rachel Maddow Show posted its second lowest month ever in the demo rating (187k; tied with May 2014), the lowest ever was June, 2014 (178k). In the morning, Morning Joe trails CNN’s New Day, ranking 4th in the demo (80k vs. New Day’s 133k) and 3rd in total viewers (340k vs. New Day’s 388k).
August, 2014 CNN show highlights include:
New Day easily topped MSNBC’s Morning Joe with a +14% advantage in total viewers (388k vs. 340k) and +66% lead in the demo (133k vs. 80k). This represents New Day’s second consecutive month that it outperformed Joe in the demo, and the program’s largest monthly advantage ever. In addition, New Day is up the most among cable news in the 6-9a time period, increasing +40% in total viewers and +37% in the demo vs a year ago; while Joe is down -11%/-36% respectively.
CNN Newsroom anchored by Carol Costello ranked #2 in both total viewers and the demo 25-54 at 9a/10a. MSNBC’s Daily Rundown (9a) was 4th in the demo (60k).
At this Hour with Michaela and Berman ranked #2 in both total viewers (583k) and the demo (146k). MSNBC’s News Nation placed 4th in the demo (58k).
Legal View with Ashleigh Banfield ranked #2 in both total viewers (582k) and the demo (123k). MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell Reports was 4th in the demo (51k).
Wolf ranked #2 in both total viewers (575k) and in the demo (133k). MSNBC’s Ronan Farrow Daily was 4th in the demo (50k).
CNN Newsroom anchored by Brooke Baldwin ranked #2 in both total viewers and the demo 25-54 at 2p/3p. MSNBC’s Reid Report (56k) and The Cycle (60k) placed 3th in the demo.
The Lead with Jake Tapper ranked #2 in total viewers (642k) and the demo (167k); increasing +64% in P2+ and +59% in the demo vs. a year ago. MSNBC’s Now with Alex Wagner placed 3th in the demo (67k).
· The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer (5pm) ranked #2 in total viewers (690k) and demo (180k); increasing +55% in P2+ and +70% in the demo. MSNBC’s Ed Show placed 3rd in the demo with 88k.
· Erin Burnett Outfront ranked #2 in the demo (201k); increasing +66% in P2+ and +62% in the demo. MSNBC’s Hardball placed 3rd with 145k in the demo.
· AC 360 (8pm) ranked #2, easily topping MSNBC’s All in with Chris Hayes in both total viewers (722k vs. MSNBC’s 634k) and in the demo (234k vs. 135k). In addition, AC 360 grew the most at 8pm vs. a year ago, increasing +40% in total viewers and +66% in the demo 25-54; while Hayes was down -2% in the demo.
· CNN programming at 9pm (mostly an additional hour of AC 360 this month) grew an impressive +109% in the demo vs. a year ago and +52% in total viewers. CNN topped MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show in the key demo 25-54 (247k vs. MSNBC’s 187k); while Maddow declined -2% among 25-54.
· CNN programming at 10pm (mostly CNN Tonight) ranked #2 in both total viewers (629k) and the demo (233k); increasing +53% in P2+ and +69% vs. a year ago. MSNBC’s Last Word/Doc combo ranked 3rd.
Smerconish (9am) ranked #2 in both total viewers (550k) and the demo (153k); while MSNBC’s Up w/ Kornacki was 4th in the demo (87k). The 6pm (encore) ranked #1 in the demo.
Inside Politics with John King ranked #2 in total viewers (446k) and is up +19% from a year ago.
State of the Union with Candy Crowley ranked #2 in total viewers at 9am, and in P2+ and demo at noon – topping MSNBC both hours.
Fareed Zakaria GPS (10a) ranked #2 in both total viewers (653k) and key demo rating (174k), outperforming MSNBC.
Reliable Sources with Brian Stelter ranked #2 in both total viewers (615k) and 25-54 (65k), increasing +75% in total viewers and +40% in the demo vs. a year ago.
CNN Original Series have continued to score this month with strong ratings performances:
The Hunt with John Walsh (7/13/14-8/31/14)
· CNN’s newest Original Series, The Hunt, delivered solid ratings in its 8 premieres, ranking #1 in cable news in the Sunday 9pm time period among adults 25-54 and total viewers.
The program averaged 294k in the key demo and 862k among total viewers, easily ahead of Fox News (158k/850k) and MSNBC (131k/292k); outperforming the combined delivery of both competitors in the time period among adults 25-54.
The show was up +62% among 25-54 (181k) vs. the prior-to-launch four Sundays and +57% for total viewers (548k) in the same time period.
The Sixties (5/29/14-8/14/14)
· Over its ten Thursday 9pm premieres, The Sixties averaged 298k among 25-54 and 1085k in total viewers.
· The program ranked #2 among cable news in the time period in both 25-54 rating and total viewers, topping MSNBC (156k/783k).
· The Sixties more than tripled CNN’s audience in its prior-to-launch four Thursday 9p time period, up +204% among 25-54 (98k) and +219% in total viewers (340k).
· The Sixties reached 42 million total viewers (through 8/31/14) and grew +68% from Live (177k) to Live+7 (298k) viewing among P25-54.
Above data is a blend of Nielsen Live+SD and the more inclusive Live+3 and final Live+7 data when available.
CNN Digital Dominates Social, Mobile, Video in August 2014:
Due to extensive news coverage of Ferguson and the continued crisis in the Middle East, CNN Digital broke video start records and posted some its highest-ever mobile numbers in August 2014. In addition, CNN.com was No. 1 for page views the week of Aug. 17, beating all competitor news sites. With 231 mm page views for the week, CNN.com had 5% more traffic than Yahoo News, 31% more than Huffingtonpost.com and 313% more than NBCNews.com. (comScore Media Metrix August 2014)
· CNN’s mobile website set an all-time, global high for video starts with 17 mm, topping the previous high of 15 mm in March 2014 (Malaysia 370).
· Globally, across desktop and mobile platforms, CNN Digital posted its second highest month for video starts with 242 mm, trailing only March of this year.
· CNN Money on-site video starts reached 18 mm, the best month of all time.
· Its second highest month on record, CNN Digital clocked 42 mm unique mobile web users, domestically.
· Behind only March 2014, CNN Digital posted 499 mm page views of its domestic mobile web property in August.
(Sources: Adobe Analytics and Bango Analytics August 2014; mobile platforms include mobile web, iOS and Android apps.)
· CNN continues to rank #1 in social mentions beating the TV and digital competitors. (Sysomos Aug 2014)
· An August post about Robin Willliams’ death from the CNN’s flagship Facebook account received 222k actions, the highest post in total actions since reporting began (Facebook API 8/12/2014).