CNN claimed the second-place spot among the cable news networks in the busy news month of April, topping MSNBC in both Total Day and primetime for the first time in more than two years. The network also showed the most growth among its competition, up double digits among Total Viewers and triple digits in the A25-54 demographic compared to the same month last year.
The ratings for April 2013 (Nielsen Live + Same Day data):
- Primetime (Mon-Sun): 920,000 Total Viewers / 340,000 A25-54
- Total Day (Mon-Sun): 638,000 Total Viewers / 228,000 A25-54
The month of April was a busy one for all the cable news networks, with extended coverage of the Boston marathon bombing and subsequent manhunt as well as the fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas. Every hour of CNN programming was up double or triple digits compared to April 2012, which was an especially slow month for the network. In Total Day, CNN was up +79% in Total Viewers and +109% in the A25-54 demographic. In primetime, the network was up +80% and +128%, respectively.
The 6pmET hour of “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer” showed the most growth of any cable news program in April, up +124% in Total Viewers and +224% in A25-54 viewers. “OutFront with Erin Burnett” posted its best month since launching in 2011, growing +145% in Total Viewers and +221% in the demo year-over-year. Piers Morgan’s 9pmET program was also up significantly, growing +71% and +119%, respectively.
Two newcomers for CNN — Jake Tapper and Anthony Bourdain — also boosted their respective timeslots. Tapper’s 4pmET program is up +54% in Total Viewers and +108% in the A25-54 demographic compared to the same month last year, when the hour was home to “The Situation Room.” Bourdain’s “Parts Unknown” boosted the Sunday 9pmET hour by +122% and +440%, respectively.
“Anderson Cooper 360” averaged 1.16 million Total Viewers and 431,000 A25-54 viewers for the month, making it the top rated show on CNN in both ratings measurements.
CNN’s release is after the jump.
CNN HAS BEST RATINGS MONTH SINCE NOVEMBER 2012
CNN Shows Most Growth of All Cable News Nets and Now Ranks #2 Year-to-Date
CNN Tops MSNBC in Key Dayparts for the First Time in Over a Year; MSNBC Slips to 4th
April 2013 is CNN Digital’s Most Trafficked Month in History; Network Breaks Records with1.8+ Billion Page Views
During a month that saw breaking news and extended coverage from Boston, CNN had its best total day (6a-6a) delivery among total viewers and the demo 25-54 since November 2012 and posted double and triple-digit increases vs. a year ago in total day and M-F/M-Su prime in both total viewers and the key demo 25-54. April marks the first time CNN has outdelivered MSNBC in total viewers and the key demo 25-54 in more than a year (March 2011) in total day and in prime. MSNBC also slips to 4th place (behind HLN) in total day, the morning, daytime (9a-5p), 6p, 7p and 8p in the key demo 25-54. CNN is now topping MSNBC year-to-date in total day– ranking second among the cable news networks in total viewers and 25-54.
April network highlights (thru April 28):
Total Day: CNN is up +79% in total viewers (638k vs. 356k), +109% among adults 25-54 (228k vs. 109k)
MSNBC declined -4% in total viewers (407k vs. 426k), flat among adults 25-54 (139k vs. 139k)
FXNC grew +14% in total viewers (1.232m vs. 1.084m), only +2% among adults 25-54 (278k vs. 273k)
M-F Prime: CNN grew +88% in total viewers (1.008m vs. 536k), +133% among adults 25-54 (379k vs. 163k)
MSNBC dropped -12% in total viewers (795k vs. 902k), flat among adults 25-54 (254k vs. 253k)
FXNC is up +5% total viewers (2.342m vs. 2.228m), but dropped -3% in the target demo 25-54 (475k vs. 489k)
M-Su Prime: CNN increased +80% in total viewers (920k vs. 510k), +128% in 25-54 (340k vs. 149k)
MSNBC declined -10% in total viewers (686k vs. 760k), flat among adults 25-54 (237k vs. 239k)
FXNC grew +9% in total viewers (2.022m vs.1.858m), but dropped -2% in 25-54 (392k vs. 398k)
CNN programs have shown significant strength this month, with weekday prime programs registering their best performances in years among total viewers and 25-54 – program highlights include:
• The Lead with Jake Tapper: After premiering a month ago (March 18) the program is up by substantial margins, increasing +108% in the key demo 25-54 (258k vs. 124k) and +54% in total viewers (829k vs. 538k) compared to a year ago. The Lead now ranks second only to FXNC at 4p (MSNBC slips to fourth behind CNN and HLN).
• The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer (6p) increased more than any program on CNN, FXNC or MSNBC in the demo this month — growing +224% among 25-54 (343k vs. 106k) and +124% in total viewers (976k vs. 435k) compared to a year ago. Sit Room moved to second place this month, with MSNBC slipping to 4th place behind CNN and HLN among both demos.
• Outfront with Erin Burnett increased more than any program on CNN, FXNC or MSNBC in total viewers this month – growing +145% (1.004m vs. 409k) vs. a year ago. EBO is also having its best month ever and is posting the network’s best 7pm performance in both total viewers and the key demo since November 2008. For the month, EBO ranked second to FXNC, averaging 366k in the key demo (up +221% from last year’s 114k) and 1.004m in total viewers. MSNBC’s Hardball was down -13% this month in total viewers (670k vs. 769k) and slipped to 4th in the key demo 25-54.
• Anderson Cooper 360 (8p) was the top-rated show on CNN in both total viewers and in the key demo 25-54 during April. For the month, AC 360 averaged 431k among 25-54, increasing +197% from a year ago (145k) and 1.158m among total viewers, up +129% (506k). MSNBC’s All In with Chris Hayes was down -18% in total viewers vs. last year’s The Ed Show (718k vs. 880k) and ranked 3rd in April. The show placed 4th in the key demo 25-54.
• Piers Morgan Live grew +119% among the key demo 25-54 (354k vs. 162k) and increased +71% among total viewers (977k vs. 572k) this month compared to a year ago. PML ranked second in April at 9p – with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow placing third in both total viewers and demo. Maddow actually declined -7% among total viewers (931k vs. 1.0m) for the month versus year-ago.
• Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown is posting triple-digit increases vs. a year ago on Sunday at 9p. Launch-to-date, the program is delivering 389k in the demo 25-54, up +440% vs. same period a year ago (72k) and has ranked #1 in cable news on Sunday in each of its first three weeks on the air. In total viewers, Bourdain increased +122% (872k vs. 392k) at 9p vs. a year ago.
As of 4p April 29th CNN Digital had posted more than 1.8 billion page views for the month. The placement puts it ahead of November 2008’s record 1.6 billion page views, making April 2013 the network’s most trafficked month to date.
The site is also slated for its second best month in video, with over 131 million video starts to its credit at 4p on April 29th.