Twitter co-founders Evan Williams and Biz Stone have launched a new publishing platform called Medium. The entire network is built upon themed collections of text and images, giving writers more space beyond the 140-character confines of Twitter.
Here’s more about collections, from the founders: “Collections are sometimes closed (like this one) but optionally open to contributions. For example, here’s an open collection of crazy stories. Here’s one of nostalgic photos. Collections give people context and structure to publish their own stories, photos, and ideas. By default, the highest-rated posts show up at the top, helping people get the most out of their time in this world of infinite information.”
Below, we’ve collected all the information writers need to know about this new site.
1. Follow this link to sign up–you will need a Twitter account.
2. You can read posts, but you can’t create new posts yet. Here’s more: “Posting is limited to a small invited list of friends and family, which we’ll be expanding rapidly—soon, to those who have registered, so if you are interested please do so.”
3. Explore The Writer’s Room, a collection created by journalist and author Steven Johnson to share “Tools And Strategies For A Writing Life.”
4. Twitter co-creator Biz Stone created a collection writing about different projects that his company has helped support.
5. Follow Medium on Twitter to watch the network evolve.