Think young adult readers are a bunch of teenagers? Think again.
According to a new report from Bowker Market Research called Understanding the Children’s Book Consumer in the Digital Age, 55 percent of people that buy YA books are 18 years and older. And 78 percent of these shoppers are buying these books for their own reading. So what age group of adults are reading YA? The biggest group of adults who buy these YA books are between the ages of 30 and 44.
Publisher’s Weekly has more: “Indeed, 30% of respondents reported they were reading works in the Hunger Games series. But the remaining 70% of readers reported a vast variety of titles (over 220), only two of which commanded more than five percent of overall sales – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Breaking Dawn.”