The Academy of American Poets and The Nation announced the five finalists for this year’s $25,000 Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize, awarded annually to the best volume of poetry published in the United States, yesterday. They are:
- Christian Barter, The Singers I Prefer (CavanKerry Press)
- Jack Gilbert, Refusing Heaven (Knopf)
- Dorianne Laux, Facts About the Moon (W.W. Norton)
- Eleanor Lerman, Our Post Soviet History Unfolds (Sarabande Press)
- Ron Slate, The Incentive of the Maggot (Mariner Books)
The winner, to be determined by a jury consisting of Carl Dennis, Tony Hoagland, and Carol Muske-Dukes, will be announced in November.